City of Fairfield, Ohio
  serving our community with pride
Manage Utilities Buy Tickets Calendar Mobile App Map / GIS Court Records YouTube
City of Fairfield, Ohio
City of Fairfield offices will be closed for Columbus Day on Monday, October 12

Development Services FAQs

Answers to some of the questions commonly asked about building, zoning and development issues in Fairfield:

How can I find out if I need a permit for my home improvement project?
We've provided a listing of projects that DO and DO NOT require permits. Please visit our "Do I Need a Permit?" page to find out which category your project falls in.

Residents may also contact the building and zoning division at 513-867-5318 or with any questions or concerns.

My family would like to construct a swimming pool in our backyard. What do we need to do?
Permits and costs associated with swimming pool construction vary depending upon the project. Please visit our swimming pool construction page to learn what permits you will need to obtain, as well as other important guidelines.

How can I find out if a piece of property is located in the flood zone?
To find out if a property is in a flood zone, you may contact the Development Services Department at 513-867-5345. With the property's address, the Development Services Department can provide the necessary information.

How do I find out the zoning of a piece of property?
Zoning maps are available at the Building and Zoning Division, located in the Fairfield Municipal Building, 5350 Pleasant Avenue, and can be purchased. You can also use our interactive maps or find it by telephone at 513-867-5318 by referencing the street address.

How can I determine the dimensions of my property?
The Development Services Department can tell you the dimensions of your property. Call the department at 513-867-5345 with the address of the property in question and a staff member will provide you with the information.

Does Fairfield offer incentive programs for new or expanding businesses?
Yes, the City of Fairfield and its development partners utilize several incentive programs to encourage business growth and investment.  Available programs include small business loan programs, property tax abatements, infrastructure improvements, fast-track permitting, and employee training and referral programs.  Contact the Economic Development Division for more information.

Do I have to get a permit before I can open my new business?
In general, building permits are required before a business will be granted a certificate of occupancy.  Any projects that involve building construction, electric, plumbing, HVAC, etc. needs a permit.  Additionally, all business signage (permanent and temporary) needs a permit.  In most cases, permits must be applied for be licensed contractors.  In certain select circumstances, permits are not required.  We recommend that you contact the Building & Zoning Division for more information before you begin your project.

Where can I get a list of all businesses in Fairfield?
The Fairfield Chamber of Commerce maintains a mailing list of all businesses in the 45014 zip code.  Contact the Chamber, 513-881-5500,  to ask about purchasing the business list.