City of Fairfield, Ohio
  serving our community with pride
Manage Utilities Buy Tickets Calendar Mobile App Map / GIS Court Records
City of Fairfield, Ohio

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to common questions about fire, home safety and the Fairfield Fire Department:

Where can I get fire extinguishers refilled?

The Fairfield Fire Department does not service or refill fire extinguishers. Look in the yellow pages under "fire equipment" to locate companies which will refill extinguishers.

How can I safely dispose of hazardous materials?

The Fairfield Fire Department does not take any type of hazardous materials. Household hazardous waste must be disposed of according to state and federal laws and regulations. The Ohio EPA provides a "A Guide to Safe Management of Household Hazardous Waste" on its Web site. You may also contact the Butler County Solid Waste Management District at 513-887-3693.

Where can I file complaints about abandoned cars and property maintenance violations?

The City of Fairfield's Building and Zoning Division handles complaints regarding abandoned furniture, appliances, etc., on private property; housing code violations' abandoned cars on private property; and general property maintenance violations. For further information, contact the City of Fairfield Building and Zoning Division at 513-867-5318. 

Will I be billed for fire or emergency medical services?

The City of Fairfield does not bill Fairfield residents for fire or EMS services.  If the Fairfield resident has insurance coverage, his/her provider(s) will be billed for the EMS services.  The Fairfield resident will not be billed for any insurance co-payments.  Uninsured Fairfield residents will not receive a bill for EMS services.  All non-residents of Fairfield will be billed for EMS services and are responsible for all charges, including insurance co-payments. 

Where can I report a leaking fire hydrant?

To report a leaking or otherwise defective fire hydrant, contact the City of Fairfield Public Utilities Water Division at 513-858-7775.

Where can I report abandoned vehicles parked in fire lanes or on public streets?

To report a car abandoned on a public street or parked in a fire lane, contact the Fairfield Fire Department at 513-829-8201.

How can I report fire hazards?

Fire hazards, including hazards in the workplace, hazardous waste or any other problems that may be a fire hazard may be reported to the Fairfield Fire Department. All information pertaining to complaints is handled in a confidential manner. A fire hazard complaint may be reported by calling 513-867-5378.

Where can I direct comments about the service provided by the Fairfield Fire Department personnel?

Questions, concerns or comments pertaining to the Fairfield Fire Department personnel may be made in person at the department's administrative offices located at 375 Nilles Road or may be phoned in by calling 513-867-5379.

Where can I report suspicious arson activity?

If you have reason to believe that a person is setting a fire or has just set a fire, call 9-1-1 immediately. Be prepared to describe the suspect, including physical features and clothing, as well as the location and nature of the suspicious activity. If you have information regarding a fire that has already occurred and is under investigation, please call 513-867-4254.

What steps should I take for a child with fire-playing behavior?

Children who play with fire place themselves, their families and their neighborhoods at risk. The Fairfield Fire Department juvenile fire setter program provides free intervention services to reduce the chances of further fire-play behavior. For additional information, please call 513-867-5378.

What type of fire extinguisher should I have in my home?

At least a rating of 2A10BC. This can be used on ordinary combustibles, flammable liquids or energized electrical equipment.

Why is my smoke detector making a funny sound (chirping)?

Any time your smoke detector goes off, it's important to pay attention. If it is sounding its loud alarm because it senses the presence of smoke, check your home thoroughly. If you smell smoke and are unable to locate a fire, call 9-1-1 and the Fairfield Fire Department will send an engine to make sure that a fire isn't smoldering in a hidden area. If you don't smell smoke, the detector may be reacting to the presence of dust, steam or a small insect or spider. Dust and bugs can be removed by a vacuum cleaner. If steam from a nearby shower is affecting your smoke detector regularly, move the detector to a different location. If the detector is just chirping, thumping or buzzing, it probably means that the battery is low. Replace the battery as soon as possible. Without a working battery, a smoke detector cannot do it job and the risk of dying in a fire increases greatly. For more information, contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 513-867-5378 or visit our Smoke Detector Guide.

Do I need a carbon monoxide detector in my house?

Yes, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced by incomplete combustion of a hydrocarbon fuel. This could be caused by an improperly operating gas stove, gas water heater, oil or gas furnace, fireplace or kerosene heater. Even a motor vehicle operating in an enclosed space such as a garage could cause carbon monoxide to build up inside your home.

Digital Phones and 9-1-1

With the boom in digital telephone service, an increasing number of inquiries have been made to the City from residents considering a switch from traditional telephone service.

While digital phone service works with the Emergency 9-1-1 system and will transmit a caller’s address, residents should be aware that cable-based digital service will likely not work during power failures. While traditional land lines usually offer back-up power, digital customers may wish to have a cellular telephone should service be interrupted.


City of Fairfield
375 Nilles Road
Fairfield, OH 45014
(513) 867-5379 (phone)
(513) 867-6060 (fax)