City of Fairfield, Ohio
  serving our community with pride
Manage Utilities Buy Tickets Calendar Mobile App Map / GIS Court Records
City of Fairfield, Ohio
City of Fairfield offices will be closed for Independence Day on Tuesday, July 4

Kitchen Fires

Fires originate in the kitchen more often than any other room of the house, and a large number of  injuries are caused by improper reaction to kitchen fires.

The most frequent causes for kitchen fires are:

  • Grease ignited within unattended pans.
  • Combustibles too close to cooking facilities.
  • Excess grease on and around cooking facilities.
  • Faulty kitchen appliances, such as toasters, can openers, etc.,

Extinguishing Grease Fires Within A Pan

In the event of a grease fire within a pan, first turn off the heat source. Do not run with the pan of burning grease or throw water or flour on the fire.

Use another pan to cover the pan of grease that is burning.

Baking soda may be used to cover the burning grease. The baking soda should not be stored over or adjacent to the stove.

Use a proper, readily available fire extinguisher to fight the fire with a dry chemical or CO2.

Extinguishing Grease Fires Outside A Pan

Should a grease fire occur outside of a pan, first turn off the heat source.

Avoid throwing water or flour onto the fire, instead use baking soda or a proper fire extinguisher.

Extinguishing Oven Fires

First, turn off the heat source.

Close the oven door and leave it closed. If the fire does not go out, use baking soda or a proper fire extinguisher.

Extinguishing Combustibles Ignited By Cooking Facilities

Use a readily available, proper fire extinguisher.

Do not try to remove the burning material until the fire has been extinguished.

Even if you are able to extinguish a kitchen fire on your own, call the Fire Department as they can assist with clean up and smoke removal.

More information

Please click on the link to see more information on preventing kitchen fires.

City of Fairfield
375 Nilles Road
Fairfield, OH 45014
(513) 867-5379 (phone)
(513) 867-6060 (fax)