Radon is a radioactive gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless and impossible to detect without sensitive equipment. Radon naturally occurs by the breakdown of uranium in the soil, rock and water.
When allowed to accumulate to high levels, it can be hazardous to long-term health. The surgeon general has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Only cigarette smoking causes more lung cancer deaths.
Radon gas is present in all regions throughout the world to varying extents. Although radon levels vary from area to area, the radioactive gas can be found in high concentrations in every U.S. state.
Whether you and your family are exposed to high radon levels or not depends upon a number of factors ranging from the geology of the area where you live to the actual construction of your home.
Even if you live in an area known for low levels of radon, the construction of your home could be such that accumulation of low radon concentrations over time could result in high levels of radon gas in your home.
Radon gets into homes through:
If radon is detected in a home, there are simple ways to fix the problem that are not too costly. Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels.
Residents who wish to learn more about radon and its effects are encouraged to view this related Web sites: