City of Fairfield, Ohio
  serving our community with pride
Manage Utilities Buy Tickets Calendar Mobile App Map / GIS Court Records YouTube
City of Fairfield, Ohio
City of Fairfield offices will be closed for Columbus Day on Monday, October 12

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to common questions asked concerning Public Utilities, Water and Wastewater:

Why is my utility bill higher than normal?
If your utility bill is higher than usual, a number of reasons could be the cause. Have you used water for outdoor purposes, such as a pool fill or watering the lawn? Have you had company or increased the number of people living in the home? Perhaps there is a leak that is causing your water usage to increase. Please select the Billing Information Link for more details on utility charges and high bill investigation.

Why does sewer cost more than water?
The sewer rate is higher than the water rate because it is more costly to treat contaminated wastewater than to deliver clean water to residents. For more information on the City's utility rate structure, click here.

Who should I contact if I experience problems with my water?
Questions concerning your water can be directed to 513-867-5375 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. For emergencies after business hours, the Water Division may be reached at 513-858-7775.

Who do I call if I have a sewer backup?
Call 513-858-7760 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. During regular business hours, your questions will be answered by a collection system employee. After 3:30 p.m., the plant operator will take your call and contact an employee immediately to respond. During heavy rain events, calls will be responded to in the order they are received.

My trash was not picked up, who should I call?
Rumpke provides the trash collection services for the residents of Fairfield. If your trash was not collected on the regularly scheduled pick-up day, please call Rumpke at (513)742-2900.

Who do I call about storm sewer or ground water problems?
The City's Public Works Department at 513-867-4200 maintains storm sewers. Storm sewers are identified as the large grates in streets and near curbs.

Who do I call about odor problems in my home?
You may contact the wastewater plant at 513-858-7760 to ask questions about odors. A collection system employee will answer your questions and, if needed, send a crew to your home. The employee will also be able to tell you if the collection system is cleaning lines in your area that may cause a temporary odor. Most odor problems are caused by a dry trap, adding water to all your traps usually eliminates the odor.

Is my home or property connected to the sanitary sewers?
To find out if a specific home or business is connected to the City of Fairfield's sewer system, please call 513-858-7760.

Why are chemicals added to our water?
The City adds chemicals to the water for many reasons: first to help soften the water, and secondly to provide a safe and helpful water. Some chemicals also help protect the pipes and mains. Lime and soda ash are added to help soften the water, chlorine is added for destruction of harmful bacteria in the water, and fluoride is required by the state to promote sound teeth with high resistance to decay. Fluoridation is only a supplement to the natural fluoride already found in the water. Phosphate is also added to help keep minerals in suspension, so they won't drop out and cause deposit on the mains and in your pipes at home.

Should I buy a home water softener?
The choice to buy a home softener is a personal choice. The water plant produces balanced water that is moderately hard. The water is balanced to promote neither depositing on the pipes, nor corrosiveness to piping. The benefit of a home softener is an appreciable savings in the consumption of soap and cleaning action. The disadvantage is is that zero water hardness is corrosive. The homeowner should monitor and blend the water to protect piping. The water plant neither promotes nor discourages the use of home water softeners.

Where can I report a leaking fire hydrant?
To report a leaking or otherwise defective fire hydrant, contact the City of Fairfield Public Utilities Water Division at 513-858-7775.

How do I dispose of tree limbs or brush?
The city offers a call-in brush pickup service. For larger limbs, please visit the Operation Dump Truck page for more information.

How do I dispose of my old large appliances (e.g. washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, dishwasher)?
Visit the Appliance Disposal Page.

How can I safely dispose of hazardous materials?
The Fairfield Fire Department does not take any type of hazardous materials. Household hazardous waste must be disposed of according to state and federal laws and regulations. The Ohio EPA provides a "A Guide to Safe Management of Household Hazardous Waste" on its Web site. You may also contact the Butler County Solid Waste Management District at 513-887-3693 or visit

How can I safely dispose of unused medications or controlled substances?
Contact the Fairfield Police Department at 513-829-8201 to inquire about residential unused drug drop off days, or click on the following link for more information. Unused Drugs

Utility Billing
City of Fairfield

5350 Pleasant Avenue
Municipal Building Room 113
Fairfield, OH 45014
(513) 867-5370 (phone)
(513) 867-5329 (fax)

Public Utilities
City of Fairfield

5350 Pleasant Avenue
Fairfield OH 45014
(513) 867-5375 (phone)
(513) 867-5329 (fax)