The Elisha Morgan Mansion is located in Gilbert Farms Park, 6181 Ross Road, between Mack Road and Woodridge Boulevard.
The Elisha Morgan Mansion is a Flemish Bond brick farm "mansion," built c.1817, and stands as a treasured historic landmark in the City of Fairfield. It has been determined that the house, as it presently stands, was constructed in three stages. The original Federal-style front portion, facing Ross Road, was built by Elisha Morgan in 1817. The second Greek Revival-style extension was added in 1858 by David Hueston. There is also a one-story third addition with a shed roof.
The integrity of the home's interior is remarkable. Original Federal details include the open stairway, beaded fireplace mantels and trim at the front entrance, fluted wood work, panel doors and original wood floors.
The Elisha Morgan Mansion is a great living history lesson for school field trips and scout meetings. Since its restoration, the Mansion is a wonderful demonstration of the time period in which it was constructed.
For information on tours, please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at 513-867-5348.
Monthly meetings at the Elisha Morgan Mansion:
Fairfield Historical Society
2nd Thursday of the month, 7 p.m.
Contact Debbie Pennington, 513-910-3258
The Elisha Morgan Mansion can serve as the location for small weddings, rehearsal dinners, and other gatherings. The home is sure to provide a unique setting for your event.
Seats approximately 42 on the first floor with no dance floor, with seating for an additional 35 on the second floor. Events may be self-catered or use your Caterer of choice. Kitchen amenities are limited to one microwave oven, small ice machine, and small refrigeration unit. Alcohol may be served by obtaining a Alcohol Waiver from the Parks and Recreation Department. Due to the historic nature of the mansion, a refundable security deposit is required on all rentals.
Please see the last page of the Rental Policies for full information.
Weekday: Monday through Friday, Non-Alcohol, any 4 hours up to 10PM - $300
Weekend: Saturday or Sunday, Non-Alcohol, any 6 hours up to Midnight - $500
Additional Charge for One-Day Alcohol Waiver - $100
Additional Security Deposit (refundable) - $500
For More Information, Contact:
Arts & Programs Manager at the Fairfield Community Arts Center
Phone: (513) 867-5348
1817: Elisha Morgan, born 1779 in Hunterdon NJ, purchased 48.68 acres of land for $1,650 on August 16, 1817 when the government was selling other land in the Symmes Purchase for $2.00 per acre. It is assumed he bought the house as well as the land. The house was built in the Federal Style, most popular from 1785-1815. At the time, he was married to his first wife, Sarah Brown, who died in 1818, at the age of 36.
1820: Morgan married the widow Elizabeth Monfort La Boiteaux (also spelled LaBoyteaux) from Colerain Township. The 1820 census and the 1822 tax records indicate the couple living in the house with six children, five of them being Morgan's.
1827: Elisha Morgan died intestate September 5, 1827 at the age of 48. His 2nd daughter, Ruth, dies that same year.
1829: The farm was sold at auction on May 18, 1829 to Nathan Tolbert (also spelled Talbott) with the house and 20 acres sold as the dower of the widow. Up until this time, it was known as the Morgan Estate.
1831: Sale of the property was recorded two years later in Butler County to John Hay and the house was known as Hay House for the next 18 years. The 1837 auditor's records lists the house and land separately for the first time.
1849: David Hueston purchased the farm from Hay with additional land and, in 1858, added a Greek Revival addition to the rear at a cost of $1,000.
1865: Hueston sells the land to John Mack, but then buys it back again in 1871.
1871: Joseph and Alonzo Ross purchased 60 acres and house from David Hueston on March 17, 1871. Ross Road currently fronts the house. The 1875 atlas shows extensive fruit trees around the house for the Vine & Fruit Farm of J. & A.M.Ross.
1916: The mansion remained with the Ross family until the John Thomas Gilbert family purchased it and 16 acres. The house and land became known as Gilbert Farms.
1980: The City of Fairfield purchased the house and 16 acres from the Gilbert family to create Gilbert Farms Park.
1990: The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as the Morgan-Hueston House, one of the oldest homes in Butler County.
1993: Matching grant was awarded by the Ohio Arts Council for feasibility study by Architect Bruce Goetzman.
1996: The exterior of the house was restored. The preservation architect was Bruce Goetzman.
1998: Interior of the house was completed. Moody and Nolan were the architects and designers.