Dedicated on Memorial Day 2001, Fairfield's Veterans Memorial Park commemorates the men and women who fought for freedom. The park is located at 701 Wessel Drive, adjacent to the Municipal Building Annex.
The park provides a serene escape to reflect and remember those who gave so much of themselves.
The park came about through the vision of Fairfield City Council, Fairfield VFW Post 1069, Fairfield Amvets Post 71 and the Veterans Memorial Park committee.
The park features a granite monument, "Tears for the Fallen," over which water falls signifying tears shed for the fallen men and women of war.
Water is recycled from a small well below the monument, is pumped through the center and finally cascades over the top of the stone.
The 3,000-pound monument stands approximately six feet tall.
On Memorial Day 2002, the Veterans Park Committee unveiled "Poppies," a life-size bronze sculpture depicting a war veteran.
One of an edition of 30, "Poppies" was created by artist W. Stanley "Sandy" Proctor. The sculpture's purchase was made possible through the generous contributions of Pella Entry Systems, VFW Post 1069, the City of Fairfield and the Veterans Memorial Park committee.
A 105 mm Howitzer cannon also serves as a focal point for the park.
The 4,980-pound cannon was designed to provide the tactical commander with light towed field artillery capable of supporting infantry units in combat.
It was donated to the City of Fairfield by an armed forces base in Kentucky and was restored by the city's Public Works Department.
Brick paver stones also wind through the memorial park. Bricks were purchased by community members and organizations and are engraved with the names of loved ones who served in all branches of the armed forces.