City of Fairfield, Ohio
  serving our community with pride
Manage Utilities Buy Tickets Calendar Mobile App Map / GIS Court Records
City of Fairfield, Ohio

Frequently Asked Questions 

Answers to common questions asked concerning Public Utilities, Water and Wastewater:

How is my utility bill calculated?
Water and sewer charges are based on the amount of water consumed each month. The sewer rate is a flat rate of $4.64 per 1,000 gallons of water used. The water rate is based on a combination of a minimum charge (which is accessed according to meter size) plus a charge for additional water used. See a more detailed explanation here. For questions about your bill, please call the Utility Billing Office at 513-867-5370.

Is my home or property connected to the sanitary sewers?
To find out if a specific home or business is connected to the City of Fairfield's sewer system, please call 513-858-7760. This service is free to anyone who calls.

Who do I call about odor problems in my home?
You may contact the wastewater plant at 513-858-7760 to ask questions about odors. A collection system employee will answer your questions and, if needed, send a crew to your home. The employee will also be able to tell you if the collection system is cleaning lines in your area that may cause a temporary odor. Most odor problems are caused by a dry trap, adding water to all your traps usually eliminates the odor.

Who do I call about storm sewer problems?
The City's Public Works Department at 513-867-4200 maintains storm sewers. Storm sewers are identified as the large grates in streets and near curbs.

Why are there so many chemicals in our water?
The City adds chemicals to the water for several reasons - first to help soften the water, and second to provide a safe and helpful water. Lime is added to help soften the water by removing excess calcium and magnesium minerals. Chlorine is then added for the destruction of harmful bacteria in the water. Fluoride is required by the state to be added to the water to promote sound teeth with high resistance to decay. Fluoridation is only a supplement to the natural fluoride already found in the water. The City also adjusts the pH of the water so that the water is stable and not corrosive to plumbing.

Should I buy a home water softener?
The choice to buy a home softener is a personal choice. The water plant produces a balanced water that is moderately hard. The water is balanced to promote neither depositing on the pipes nor corrosiveness to piping. The benefit of a home softener is an appreciable savings in the consumption of soap and cleaning action. The disadvantage is zero hardness is corrosive. The homeowner should monitor and blend the water to protect piping. The water plant neither promotes nor discourages the use of home water softeners.

Where can I report a leaking fire hydrant?
To report a leaking or otherwise defective fire hydrant, contact the City of Fairfield Public Utilities Water Division at 513-858-7775. 

Do I have to use Duke Energy as my electric provider?
Most electric customers are allowed to choose an electric provider. For more information on the Ohio Customer Choice program click here

How do I dispose of tree limbs or brush?
The city offers a call-in brush pickup service.  For larger limbs, please visit the Operation Dump Truck page for more information.

Who do I talk to about getting my garbage picked up?
The city contracts with a trash hauler. Currently Rumpke provides this service for Fairfield residents.

Where is the city's landfill?
The city does not have a landfill. Rumpke, the city's contracted trash hauler, operates a landfill.

How do I dispose of my old large appliances (e.g. washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, dishwasher)?
Appliances removal information page.

Who should I contact if I experience problems with my water?
Please call the Utility Billing Office at 513-867-5370 to report water problems Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For water emergencies after normal business hours, please call the City’s Water Treatment Plant at 513-858-7775.

Who do I call if I have a sewer backup?
Call 513-858-7760 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. During normal business hours, your questions will be answered by a collection system employee. After 3:30 p.m. and until 11 p.m., the plant operator will take your call and contact an employee immediately to respond. During heavy rain events, calls will be responded to in the order they are received.

How can I safely dispose of hazardous materials?
The Fairfield Fire Department does not take any type of hazardous materials. Household hazardous waste must be disposed of according to state and federal laws and regulations. The Ohio EPA provides a "A Guide to Safe Management of Household Hazardous Waste" on its Web site. You may also contact the Butler County Solid Waste Management District at 513-887-3693.

How can I safely dispose of unused medications or controlled substances?
Unused medications or controlled substances can be disposed of in the City’s “drug drop box” – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – located in the lobby of the Fairfield Police Department at 5230 Pleasant Avenue.

Public Utilities
City of Fairfield
5021 Groh Lane
Fairfield, OH 45014
(513) 867-5375 (phone)
(513) 867-5329 (fax)

> Manage Utilities