The City of Fairfield constructed its original water treatment plant in 1956. This water plant was designed to remove iron, soften water, and provide disinfection. The plant utilized ion exchange treatment and filtration. The production capacity was 750,000 gallons per day (gpd). In 1963, the plant was doubled in size to increase the production to 1.5 million gallons per day (mgd).
In 1983, the first phase of the lime treatment plant was added, which included two solid contact clarifiers each rated at 2.5 MGD. During 1998 to 2000, the second phase of the lime treatment plant was added, which included adding another two clarifiers with the 2.5 MGD rating. The City then had the ability to produce 1.5 MGD with its original "Ion Exchange Plant" and 9.3 MGD with its "Lime Plant". Eventually, the Ion Exchange Plant required extensive repairs and was taken out of service and dismantled leaving the City with only the Lime Plant.
The City's water plant pumps raw ground water from the Great Miami Valley Buried Aquifer. It utilizes several deep wells to accomplish this. After the raw water is pumped to the plant, it passes through aerators. Aerations helps remove carbon dioxide from the water reducing the amount of lime needed for the subsequent softening process. The water is then gravity fed to the solid contact clarifiers where lime is added for the softening process. After flowing through the clarifiers, the water is gravity fed to the carbon dioxide basins where the pH of the water is adjusted. After pH adjustment, the water is disinfected with chlorine, filtered, and fluoridated. Finally, the water enters the clear well for distribution to the city. The water is tested at the various stages of the treatment process and in the distribution system.
Water Treatment Plant Clarifier