City of Fairfield, Ohio
  serving our community with pride
Manage Utilities Buy Tickets Calendar Mobile App Map / GIS Court Records
City of Fairfield, Ohio

Board of Building Appeals

The local Board of Building Appeals reviews requests for appeals to the Residential Code of Ohio and the International Fire Code.

Requesting an Appeal

Anyone issued a violation to these codes has the right to appeal the judgment. The procedure is as follows:

  • Once the violation is issued from the building superintendent or fire department personnel, the violator has 30 days to appeal.
  • Applications are to be made on the appeal form provided by the building inspection division.
  • Local board of appeals hearing (applicant states case).


Richard Pestinger
Mary Stier 

State Board of Building Appeals

The state board of building appeals hears appeals to the Ohio Basic Building Code, the International Mechanical Code and the Ohio Fire Code.

Any individual issued an adjudication order from the local building department has the right to appeal the ruling to the state board of building appeals. The procedure is as follows:

  • Once the adjudication order is issued outlining the violation, the applicant has 30 days to appeal.
  • Applicant sends a letter along with adjudication order to the board of building appeals requesting a hearing.
  • The hearing is usually four to six weeks after the filing date.

A conditional approval is a "conditional license" to proceed with construction or materials up to the point of stated conditions. The owner or owner's representative (architect/engineer or contractor) may accept the conditions or appeal any or all to the Ohio Board of Building Appeals.

For questions regarding those stated conditions or if you believe the design has been misinterpreted with respect to any of the above items, call the Building Division at 513-867-5318.

To request an appeal hearing, send a written request to the Board of Building Appeals, 6606 Tussing Road, Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068. The State Board of Building Appeals may be contacted at 614-644-2616.