- Development Services
- Building & Zoning Division
To obtain a City of Fairfield building permit, complete the application form. Submit the completed application, along with drawings and submittals required for your project, at the Building and Zoning Division office, 5350 Pleasant Avenue. Certain permits may be obtained via U.S. mail. Contact the Building and Zoning office at (513) 867-5318 for more information.
Building permit fees can be obtained at the fee schedule page.
Projects Requiring A Building Permit
Building permits are required for the projects listed below.
- New residential construction
- Building additions
- Building remodeling
- Above ground and inground swimming pools of 18 inches or more in depth
- New roof and re-roofs
- Window or door replacements
- Radio and TV antennas
- Satellite dishes
- Attached or detached garages
- Sheds or storage buildings of more than 150 square feet (Those smaller than 150 square feet do not require a building permit unless they are to be erected on a concrete slab or foundation. They do still require a no-cost zoning certificate.)
- Retaining walls
- Fences more than four feet high
Projects Requiring An Electrical Permit
Electrical permits are required for the projects outlined below.
Please note, electrical work must be installed by an electrical contractor licensed in Fairfield, with the following exception: The owner-occupant of a single family dwelling house may, with the assistance of any member of his family or household, personally perform in his house any work governed by the codes without a license, providing that the owner obtains a permit and calls for the appropriate inspections.
- New electrical circuits
- New circuit breaker panels
- Replacement of main service disconnects or circuit breakers
- New building service
- Replacement or repair of building service
- Reconnecting of heating and air conditioning appliances when replaced
- Electric and bonding for new inground and above ground swimming pools
- New lamp posts, etc.
Projects Requiring an HVAC Permit
Detailed below are projects requiring an HVAC permit.
Please note: With the exception of gas lines, heating and air conditioning work must be installed by a heating and air conditioning contractor licensed in Fairfield with the following exception. The owner-occupant of a single family dwelling house may, with the assistance of any member of his family or household, personally perform in his house any work governed by the codes without a license, providing that the owner obtains a permit and calls for the appropriate inspections.
- New electric or gas heating and air conditioning equipment
- Replacement of heating and air conditioning equipment
- Alteration or addition of duct work
- New hot water heating systems
- Replacement of hot water heating systems
- New gas line installations
- Replacement of existing gas lines
- Adding gas lines to an existing system
Projects NOT Requiring A Permit
Projects under $300 usually do not require a permit, providing the project does not involve the removal of a wall, supporting beam or change of entry/exit. The projects listed below do not require a permit from the City of Fairfield.
- New carpeting
- Fences under 48 inches high do not require a building permit, but do require a no-cost zoning certificate.
- Sheds less than 150 square feet without a poured foundation do not require a building permit, but do require a no-cost zoning certificate.
- Driveways (Please note: The Public Works Department does require a curb cut/driveway apron permit).
- Storm or screen doors/windows