Civil Service Commission
- 2nd Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Municipal Building
Richard Fox - Chairman
Brian Wood - Vice-Chairman
Matthew Davidson - Member
The Fairfield Civil Service Commission is responsible for administering and enforcing Civil Service laws adopted by the City as well as those of the State of Ohio. The Commission is composed of three citizens who are appointed by the Fairfield City Council and serve in the manner provided for in Ohio Revised Code (124.40) and the City Charter.
The Commission is also responsible for oversight of the hiring process for certain positions in the City. Police Officer, Firefighter/Paramedic and most of the non-exempt, hourly positions are classified under Civil Service. As such, they require Civil Service examinations and the establishment of eligibility lists from which candidates are to be hired. The appointed secretary of the Commission arranges for and conducts the examinations and maintains the eligibility lists for the benefit of appointing authorities.
The Civil Service Commission is also responsible for positions in Fairfield City Schools. For current job opportunities at Fairfield City Schools, click here.
Announcements of Civil Service examinations are made in or on the local news media, the City's social media sites, bulletin boards at the Fairfield Municipal Building and the Fairfield Lane Public Library, and the job opportunities page.
Eligibility listings are available for the civil service tests listed below. Eligibility listings are posted only after the Civil Service Commission has approved the ranking.
Current Eligibility Lists
- Account Clerk I 1.11.18
- Animal Control Officer
- Clerk I 1.11.18
- Clerk II - City of Fairfield (PDF)
- Clerk III - Fairfield City Schools (2-8-18)
- Clerk IV 1.11.18
- Construction Inspector (PDF)
- Custodian - Fairfield City Schools (PDF)
- Data Entry Operator - Fairfield City Schools (2-8-18)
- Deputy Fire Chief August 2017
- Fire Captain (PDF)
- Fire Lt. Eligibility List 8.9.18
- Firefighter Paramedic - City of Fairfield (PDF)
- Firefighter-Paramedic Safer Grant Funded List (10-26-17)
- Greenskeeper Eligibility List 2.14.19
- Lab Tech Eligibility List 2.14.19
- Maintenance Electrician (PDF)
- Maintenance Worker-Laborer (7-11-18)
- Mechanic 2018
- OMW Eligibility List 8.9.18
- Police 911 Dispatcher
- Police Chief 2017.pdf
- Police LieutenantEligibility List 3.8.18
- Police Officer Written Exam Ranking List 3.14.19
- Police Sergeant
- Receptionist 1.11.18
- Secretary II - Fairfield City Schools (6-7-18)
- Secretary III Eligibility List 11.7.18
- Turf Mechanic (PDF)
- Zoning Inspector-Clerk (PDF)