Civil Service Commission
- The April 9, 2020 Civil Service Commission Meeting is canceled due to COVID-19 restrictions. The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 9, 2020.
- 2nd Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Municipal Building
Richard Fox - Chairman
Brian Wood - Vice-Chairman
Matthew Davidson - Member
The Fairfield Civil Service Commission is responsible for administering and enforcing Civil Service laws adopted by the City as well as those of the State of Ohio. The Commission is composed of three citizens who are appointed by the Fairfield City Council and serve in the manner provided for in Ohio Revised Code (124.40) and the City Charter.
The Commission is also responsible for oversight of the hiring process for certain positions in the City. Police Officer, Firefighter/Paramedic and most of the non-exempt, hourly positions are classified under Civil Service. As such, they require Civil Service examinations and the establishment of eligibility lists from which candidates are to be hired. The appointed secretary of the Commission arranges for and conducts the examinations and maintains the eligibility lists for the benefit of appointing authorities.
The Civil Service Commission is also responsible for positions in Fairfield City Schools. For current job opportunities at Fairfield City Schools, click here.
Announcements of Civil Service examinations are made in or on the local news media, the City’s social media sites, bulletin boards at the Fairfield Municipal Building and the Fairfield Lane Public Library, and the job opportunities page.
Eligibility listings are available for the civil service tests listed below. Eligibility listings are posted only after the Civil Service Commission has approved the ranking.
Current Eligibility Lists
- Account Clerk I Eligibility List 3.12.20
- Animal Control Officer
- Building Inspector 10.10.19
- Clerk I Eligibility List 3.12.20
- Clerk II - City of Fairfield (PDF)
- CLERK III 12.18.19
- Clerk IV Eligibility List 3.12.20
- Construction Inspector 5.9.19
- Custodian - Fairfield City Schools (PDF)
- Data Entry Operator 7.23.19
- Deputy Fire Chief August 2017
- East Head Custodian 6.19.19
- Fire Captain (PDF)
- Fire Lieutenant 6.19.19
- Firefighter Paramedic 12.18.19
- Firefighter-Paramedic Safer Grant Funded List (10-26-17)
- Greenskeeper 2.14.19
- Head Cook Compass 11.14.19
- Lab Tech 2.14.19
- Maintenance Electrician (PDF)
- Maintenance Worker Laborer 9.19.19
- Mechanic 2018
- OMW Eligibility List 8.9.18
- 911 Police Dispatcher 12.18.19
- Police Chief 2017.pdf
- Police LieutenantEligibility List 3.8.18
- Police Officer 12.18.19
- Police Sergeant 12.18.19
- Receptionist Eligibility List 3.12.20
- Secretary II - Fairfield City Schools (6-7-18)
- Secretary III 4.11.19
- Turf Mechanic (PDF)
- Zoning Inspector-Clerk (PDF)