Commercial Projects That Require Plans
Plans are required to be submitted online for all commercial HVAC and mechanical systems including the following:
- Boilers and heating unit replacements, steam and water piping systems
- Ductwork systems
- Exhaust systems including kitchen exhaust and makeup air
- Gas and oil tanks including piping
- Gas piping
- Heating and ventilating and air conditioning systems
- Industrial exhaust including paint spray booths
- Process equipment piping and exhaust systems
- Refrigeration systems
Complete mechanical plans shall be submitted separately and in addition to the building permit submittals. The plans shall include the following:
- Duct layouts (including the duct size and construction)
- Equipment size and location
- Penetrations of rated assemblies showing locations of smoke and fire dampers
- Piping layout and sizing
- Smoke detectors as required
- Ventilation air amounts, including outside air (mechanical ventilation and fresh air required shall be tabulated to assure compliance with chapter 4 of the International Mechanical Code)
- Vents, flues, outside combustion air
Submittal shall include manufacturing literature, datasheets and details showing weights, clearances, testing lab approvals and certified capacities.
All mechanical work shall be performed by a contractor holding a valid license from the State of Ohio. Contractors are also required to be registered with the City of Fairfield.
Residential HVAC ProjectsResidential HVAC projects require a permit, however no plans are required.
An owner/occupant of a single-family dwelling may install systems in their residence without a license, but a permit is still required.
- All HVAC work shall be in accordance with the following codes:
- Chapter 1337 of the Fairfield Codified Ordinances
- The OBOA, 1, 2 and 3 family code
- The 1998 BOCA international mechanical code
- The CABO model energy code
- 1993 (MEC)
- ASHRAE 62 to 189